Dear Baby Huck,
As I await your arrival, I think about all the people that helped to raise me and make me into the woman and mom I am today. You see, I was very lucky to not only have a mom and dad to raise me, but also several other family members that helped my parents and me in so many ways. Today, I want to tell you a little bit about those people, what I learned from them, and what I hope you'll learn from me and them as well.
Let's start with my grandma and your great-grandma, Mima. Mima is my mom's mom (Nana's mom). I was especially close to Mima because she has lived with my mom for most of my life. Mima was born and raised in Cuba so she know's very little English. This was a huge advantage for your uncle Ryan and me because thanks to her lack of English, we were forced to learn Spanish and I am now fluent in two languages. This is just a small part of what she did for us. Because Nana worked full-time and Jim (my step-dad and your granddad) worked out of town a lot, Mima took care of me and your uncle Ryan pretty often. She made us meals, did some of our laundry, walked us home from the bus stop, took care of us when we were sick, and spoiled us just like grandma's often do. Some of my favorite memories of Mima are her stories. We used to lay in bed at night and she would tell us stories about your Nana and great uncles when they were kids. I loved hearing those stories and would often ask her to repeat them night after night. Another favorite memory, Mima's cooking. Mima is a great cook! I was a picky eater and my mom would sometimes get frustrated with me, but what would frustrate her even more was when Mima would make me a separate meal from everyone else's to make sure I ate. That still makes me smile. Mima would also cook when we didn't feel well. When one of us was sick, she would make homemade Cuban chicken noodle soup and tea (she called it mansanilla), I still crave them when I don't feel well. You'll meet her soon after you make your arrival and I'm sure she'll smother you with love and kisses. I hope you get to know her well and spend lots of time with this very special woman.
I had another very important person in my life and that was Tio Sergio (tio means uncle in Spanish). Tio Sergio is Nana's youngest brother. If I had to pick one word to describe him, it would be FUN! I can't remember a time ever in my life that I spent time with him and didn't have a blast. He's one of those people that you just can't help but love spending time with. He's very outgoing, hilarious, and easy to get along with. Your uncle Ryan and I were very lucky to have him around when we were growing up. Tio Sergio never had children of his own so he treated us like we were his. When your uncle Ryan and I were kids he would pick us up all the time (it seems like everyday in my memory) and take us to all kinds of places. We would go to the mall, the beach, the ranch, or the pool at his apartment. He bought me my first pair of skates, taught me how to ride a bike, taught me how to ride a horse, taught me how to drive, and the best lesson I learned from him...never be afraid to try something new or try again when you fall. Your great tio Sergio is one of those people who never forgot how to be a kid. He would let us break the rules (the small ones) and do things your Nana wouldn't. Most importantly, he was there for us. He always kept us safe, he can always be counted on, and he's the kind of person you can trust to keep any secret (I thought my secrets were a big deal when I was a teenager). Unfortunately for us, tio Sergio lives down in Miami so we don't get to see him very often. I hope we can change that soon and that you will get to spend lots of time laughing and playing with the best great tio ever!
The next person on my list is Jim. Jim is my step-dad but you'll know him as granddad. Your granddad is a very special man. He came into my life as my mom's boyfriend and became so much more. He did something most men in his position wouldn't have done, he treated your uncle Ryan and I completely as if we were his own and he still does. One thing I know I got from Jim is my love of the ocean. When I was a kid, Jim took us to the beach, out on the boat, or fishing all the time. I can't tell you how many hours we spent sitting on our dock behind the house just waiting for a fish to bite. Even though for most kids this would be boring, Jim always made it fun. Jim is also someone I know I can always count on no matter what! When I got in my first car accident he was there almost immediately holding back tears in relief that I was okay, when I moved to college he helped drive me and my stuff the 6 hours to Tallahassee and reluctantly left me there on my own, when my college boyfriend and I broke up he flew my mom up immediately and drove up the next day, and everytime I talk to him he reminds me how much he loves and misses me and that I can ALWAYS come back home. One of the most important things I learned from Jim that I could never have guessed that I would need, was how to be a great step-parent. When I married your daddy and became a step-mom, I could have never imagined what a difficult role being a step-parent would be. Jim made it look easy. After I thought about it I realized why it looked so easy, Jim didn't take on the role as a step-parent as an active choice, he simply fell in love with Nana and fell in love with us too. That's why it looked so easy. He didn't have to actively think about his role, he just became someone that loved and cared for us and that's exactly what I've tried to do for your brother and sister.
Your grandpa, my dad, is a hardworking, fair, and smart man. Because my parents got divorced when I was young, I didn't get to spend as much time with him as most kids do with their dads. We only got to see him every other weekend and for extra time during schools breaks. Regardless of that, I still have lots of great memories with him too. I can honestly say that your grandpa is most of the reason that I went to college. From the time I was very young, I can remember him saving for and talking about when I would go to college. It never really seemed like a choice, it was simply the next step after highschool. He set a great example for your uncle Ryan and I went he went back to college as an adult and graduated when he was in his 30's. Grandpa was also always very fair with your uncle Ryan and I. He did his best to ensure that he always treated us both the same regardless of our sex or age. If one rule applied to me at a specific age, uncle Ryan had the same rule. It's amazing how much you appreciate this kind of fairness as a kid. My love for sports and exercise is something I got from your grandpa. Grandpa has always been athletic and in good shape. When I was a kid we would go watch the Marlins play pretty regularly. He took me to my first baseball game (the Atlanta Braves), my first hockey game, my first football game, and even took us to the summer olympics in 1996. He also taught me how to throw and catch a ball, helped me practice my gymnastics, and took me on my first ski trip when I was 8 or 9 years old. Thanks to him I now enjoy not only watching but playing sports as well. When you get big enough, I'm sure grandpa will enjoy watching you play sports and you'll enjoy playing them with him.
Last but certainly not least, your Nana. My mom is probably the hardest one for me to talk about because I have been influenced by and learned so much from her. I don't know how I can possibly describe her in just a paragraph but here goes nothing. My favorite thing about your Nana is the unconditional love and support she has always given me. I can say without a shadow of a doubt, there is nothing I could do to lose her support in my life. Through her love and affection she has always shown your uncle Ryan and I that we come first and that there is nothing she wouldn't do for us. There is no secret too big or so bad I could tell her that would ever change her opinion of me and I can say that with absolute certainty. Your Nana has never judged me or my choices even when I've made mistakes. She always listens, comforts me, and helps to pick up the pieces. I'm so grateful to have her and her support, there are so many things I've accomplished thanks to her. Empathy is another great quality your Nana has. I have never known anyone who can put themselves in someone elses shoes like she can. She is always thinking of others and how her decisions could affect them. She is kind and generous to everyone she loves and she never expects anything in return. She's the kind of mom every mom should be. One quality I know I got from her is my love of reading and music. I have countless memories of Nana reading a book to herself, reading us a book, telling us a story, or singing with us. There is a special song she would sing to your uncle Ryan and me when we were kids and I know she'll sing it to you too. I can't wait for you to get here and hear her sing you that familiar tune.
Here are the things I hope to carry on as your mom and that you'll carry on to your children...
From your Mima:
1. I hope that I speak Spanish around you enough that you will learn it too.
2. Through spending time with family and telling of stories, I hope you learn that it's important to know, understand, and appreciate where you came from.
3. I hope that when you're all grown up and don't feel well, you'll still crave whatever remedies I had for you.
From your Great Tio Sergio:
1. I hope that you learn to be outgoing and are never afraid to try something new or get back up when you fall.
2. I hope that I never forget how to be a kid and that I'll be a fun mom who lets you break the rules (sometimes).
3. I hope that you can confide your secrets in me like I did with Tio Sergio.
From your Granddad:
1. I hope you love the ocean as much as me, your granddad, and your daddy.
2. I hope you learn to fight for and be there for the ones you love when they need you the most.
3. I hope that through his parenting example, I'm a great mom to you and step-mom to Seth and McKayla.
From your Grandpa:
1. I hope that I can instill in you the importance of an education.
2. I hope that I am a fair and just parent to you and your siblings even when it may not be convenient.
3. I hope that you grow up to enjoy sports and sporting events as much as I do.
From your Nana:
1. I hope I show you the unconditional love and support your Nana has always shown me.
2. I hope that you grow up to be a kind and empathetic man.
3. I hope that you will also love books and music.
I could really go on and on about all of these wonderful people in our lives and I'm certain that you will learn much more about them and from throughout the years. I'm confident that you to will have a strong and supportive village to help you grown into a wonderful man.
We can't wait to meet you!
Love always and forever,
Mommy and Daddy
No comments:
Post a Comment