As we mentioned before, mommy was scheduled for an induction this past Saturday night because it appeared that you were not going to make your way on your own anytime soon. We called Nana so she, Grandad, and Mima could make the trip up here in time for your arrival. Saturday night we all went to the hospital at 8:00 and after getting me settled in, your grandparents and Mima headed back to our house. The plan was to give mommy Cervidil (to open my cervix) Saturday night and then 12 hours later Pitocin (to induce contractions). That meant that true labor was not supposed to start until sometime Sunday morning. That's not how things went.
Here's the story of your birth...
At about 9:30pm the nurse came and gave mommy the Cervidil and went over all the options for pain relief. The idea was that I wouldn't need an epidural until sometime after getting the pitocin. Boy were we wrong. I had been having contractions for days so it was no surprise that I was having them every few minutes. These were slightly uncomfortable but not bad. At around midnight they started getting more intense. The nurse came in and checked me and discoverd that I was about 3-3.5 cm dilated. That's quite the change from only 1 cm only 2.5 hours earlier. These contractions were getting painful so they gave mommy a medication to relieve some of the pain (can't remember the name of it). The medication only lasts an hour so an hour later I was ready for more. At 2:00am or so the nurse gave me my second dose of that medication but this time it did nothing for the pain. That's when we decided it was time for the epidural. We called for the anesthesiologist and the nurse checked me again. I was already 6 cm dialated, another big change for just a couple hours. These contractions were really painful. By 3:00am I had the epidural and by 3:30am I was starting to feel much better. I was finally able to get a little bit of rest. At 6:00am the nurse checked me again and I was 8.5 cm dilated. We were moving right along. We called all your grandparents to let them know about our progress and Nana, Grandad, Mima, Mimi, and Papa were all there by 8:00am. Unfortunately, we had stopped making progress. The nurse checked and I was still only 8.5 cm dilated. We changed the position I was laying in and that started to help. By 9:30am I was 10cm dilated. This is where it really gets exciting. After talking to the nurse about our options (pushing or laboring down) we decided it was time to push. At 9:45am I started pushing. With help from the nurse and coaching from daddy I pushed for 30 minutes and you started making your way. At 10:15 Dr. Sundstrom came in and I continued pushing. 30 minutes later you were out, crying and laying on my chest. It was easily the happiest moment of my whole entire life. Daddy and I just stared at you crying and laughing at our beautiful baby boy.
After a few minutes Mimi and Nana came in to meet you while the doctor finished working on mommy. Soon after that were Mima, Grandad, Papa, Aunt Sam, and Aunt Meghan. As people were coming in and out to meet you the nurse washed you, weighed you, and took measurements. As Dr. Dixon predicted, you were well over 8.5 pounds. You were 9 pounds and 2 ounces, 21 inches long, with a head circumference of 15 inches. Ouch! You are a BIG boy.
Here are a few pictures taken on your birthday...
The sign in our labor and delivery room
Mommy all settled in for a long night
Getting cleaned up
Not a happy boy
Henry "Huck" David Wimberly
Born June 3, 2012 at 10:45am
9 lbs., 1 oz., and 21 in. long
Mommy snuggles
Daddy Snuggles
Nana's first time holding you
Mimi's first time holding you
Leaving labor and delivery headed to our new room.
We pushed the button to let everyone in the hospital know a new baby had arrived.
Later that same day we had a few more visitors...
Papa
Mimi
Isabella
Aunt Sam
With Mommy and Daddy
And a few more the next day...
Aunt Meghan
Grandad
Mima
Your Big Sister
Your Big Brother
Miss Lisa and Aidan also came to visit you but we didn't get a picture.
And the next day...
Finally headed home
Words cannot describe how excited we are to have you here. You are everything we hoped you would be and so much more. We love you with all that we have and we are thrilled to get to call you our little boy.
Love always and forever,
Mommy and Daddy
No comments:
Post a Comment